Mental Health

How Music Can Boost Your Mental Health

A couple of years ago I wrote a post introducing my Spotify playlists. I have a weird jumble of music tastes from Taylor Swift to BritPop to film soundtracks. In it I mentioned that music can be both a great up-lifter and helps my mental health when it kicks in.

Out of all the things I’ve used over the years to help me, music has definitely been the top pick. It has a certain magic to bring back forgotten emotions, turn you into a child and motivate you to work harder. I’ve used it to push me through deadlines, to forget I’m sweating on a treadmill and ignore noisy neighbours. I even studied music for a GCSE at school (and passed! Haha!).

I thought I’d chat about why I think it’s a great way to boost your mental health! Let me know in the comments if any of these connect with you!

MusicPhoto by rupixen.com on Unsplash

Music literally makes you feel happier

We all know that chocolate makes us happy (mmm…), but according to scientists, listening to your favourite artist/song releases dopamine (the happy hormone in your brain). I have a happy playlist to listen to whenever I need to smile or want to think better thoughts.

What’s on it?

A lot of Taylor Swift songs and nearly all three of the Chronicle of Narnia soundtracks.

I know what I like and these are what I like! Haha!

Music tends to mean fun

Whenever you think of music it usually means dancing, listening to live music or maybe even filming a TikTok. I’m one of those unique people who never went clubbing or regularly listened to music at person. On the few occasions that I did, I was at my local arena watching my favourite bands:

• Steps
  • Boyzone
  • McFly

Not many but I did see them multiple times which was amazing!

I do remember dancing to Steps and Spice Girls when I was a kid and amazed that I still remember a lot of them. I guess that was what bands did. Made easy dances for you to do! I even got my mum to do a couple of dances which was hilarious.

When your mental health takes over your life, it’s easy to forget what fun is. If music gives you that back (even a little bit), then don’t be afraid to enjoy yourself!

Music allows you to escape

Just like reading, music lets you escape from a bad day or from the hustle and bustle of a packed train. Listening to Taylor on the early morning commutes to university made things so much easier. I do love mornings but it takes me a long time to wake my brain up.

Anyone can wake themselves up to Shake It Off!

Sometimes my thoughts can’t handle the here and now and want to take me back to when life was less complicated. As I’m writing this post I’m listening to Boyzone’s version of She Moves Through The Fair. I constantly rewinded my Walkman to hear this song over and over on trips up to Scotland. It’s so relaxing and haunting! Perfect for an Irish band!

These days I have a lot of those older songs on my Spotify and it’s just nice to look back fondly.

Music helps you to connect

No matter what mental health condition you have (whether it be depression, borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia…), it can be hard to connect with other people. You might have been bullied/harrassed in response to it or scared to be judged for it because of stigma. Believe me, I’m right there with you. To this day I haven’t told many of my IRL friends about my depression or anxiety.

Maybe they’ll stumble on my blog one day and make life easier for me…

It’s amazing how easy connecting with other people is when it comes to music. You might have shown love for a recent song/band over social media and mutuals have contacted you to show the same love! I’ve done that a few times for Taylor Swift and have friends go ‘OMG YES!! ME TOO!’. Got to love when that happens!

Fingers crossed that 2021 allows us to go back to concerts!

What are your thoughts on music boosting your mental health?

Music

Sophie Naylor
    7th January 2021 at 6:15 pm

I love looking back at how many people I met in my younger years through both loving the same music/artists. It makes me so happy to look back on, so I definitely agree that music helps you connect with others. <3

Britt K
    7th January 2021 at 7:42 pm

Music has always been a very important means of connecting with my emotions. Not only do I listen to it when I’m struggling with strong feelings (sadness, anger) or looking to celebrate, but I am also a musician myself and performing allows me to express feelings that I can’t put into words. It’s an INCREDIBLE emotional release.

Lisa Alioto
    7th January 2021 at 8:52 pm

Music similar but different than books can take you to a space/land away from the one you are in, which is sometimes so dearly needed

Kate
    7th January 2021 at 9:57 pm

Music is so important! I love that the Narnia soundtracks are some of your favourite things to listen to as I also enjoy listening to movie soundtracks, especially when studying. I also relate certain albums/songs to different moments in my life because I often go through phases with things. I have an album that reminds me of how hard I studied for my GCSEs, one that got me through my dissertation at university, even one that I relate specifically to a particular family holiday. And when I listen to these albums or songs that I relate to specific moments in my life, it often makes me nostalgic.

Kate ♥️ | https://asimplesliceofkate.com/

Sophie Harriet
    9th January 2021 at 5:35 pm

I’m the same, I listen to such a wide and random range of different types of music, and I have so many different Spotify playlists for all occasions including a happy playlist! Music is definitely a tool I use to boost my mental health! xx

Graham Crosby
    9th January 2021 at 6:02 pm

Excellent post. I completely agree with you on the power of music to give you a boost. I know most of the time that I can shuffle a playlist and within minutes hear something that will improve the way I feel.

Kelly
    9th January 2021 at 6:34 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. Music really does have a way to uplift your mood, or make you sad depending on what you listen to haha! It’s definitely a form of escapism, I love it!

Lucy
    9th January 2021 at 7:27 pm

Music is such a huge part of my life and I listen to music everyday, I can definitely see how music is great to boost mental health! x

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

Faye
    9th January 2021 at 8:02 pm

I describe myself as a bit of a music nerd so I absolutely loved reading this post! It’s completely true that music can have such a positive affect on how we’re feeling – it’s an amazing escape! x

Nic | Nic's Adventures & Bakes
    9th January 2021 at 8:11 pm

Thanks for sharing, music has a positive effect on me, it calms me as well as making me happy too 🙂

Molly @ Transatlantic Notes
    9th January 2021 at 9:27 pm

It definitely helps me when I need it, and the fact that it is so accessible is great. If I get very stressed or upset a few minutes listening to something helps me relax.

Great post — thanks for sharing!

Lynn Mejia
    10th January 2021 at 2:20 am

This is such a great post. My dad actually vouches for this so much and has raised me to feel music. I definitely have a dozen playlists depending on my mood and it lifts me up so much especially the past few months! Thank you for sharing xo

Tasha Marie
    10th January 2021 at 8:27 am

Hi Daisy, I couldn’t agree with you more – music is incredibly powerful and does have the ability to affect one’s mood. I have a variety of playlists for of different genres for different moods too. It can be extremely therapeutic for all situations and seasons in life.
    Thank you for sharing!