Lifestyle

Controlling What I Consume On Social Media

Over the last few months I’ve written a couple of posts about social media. I’ve shared all my little peeves about it and how to engage with audience. It’s such an essential element for a blogger to have, especially when they’re starting out. It helps you market your posts, correspond with brands and chat with your readers.

I’m a bit of an enigma when it comes to social media. I rarely use Instagram or Facebook and only venture onto Twitter, Pinterest and TikTok. Kind of obviously why my views are always super low! Haha! I started blogging back in 2014 and the way we use this media has changed so much.

It’s only in the last couple of years that I’ve allowed myself to control what I read/watch. You can easily get overwhelmed by news, posts and opinions on these sites. My mental health has constantly been triggered by comparisons, unrelated images and nasty rants. If I’m going to use these sites daily, why shouldn’t I market it towards my personal tastes? I shouldn’t be ashamed to mute or even block accounts.

Social Media

It was around February last year when I finally had enough. I was sick of seeing news about politics, reading tweets from celebrities I didn’t like and even being subjected to videos of animal abuse. My Twitter had to show all the fandoms I loved from voice actors, merch and fan chatter.

I wanted to surround myself with people who make me feel wanted and care about what I tweet. I wanted to be excited to click onto the site and enjoy what I saw. Yes, that means watching adorable cat videos! Twitter wasn’t the only place that I changed things. I did the same on Youtube, Pinterest and TikTok. There is something special about motivational quotes, successes of friends and fangirling news!

This time yesterday I was asdf-ing over some Tom Holland news. That is definitely the kind of news I want to see every day!

As I’ve gotten older, my tastes have changed. Content creators who I used to adore have changed or disappeared and it’s easier for me to see videos/posts with fewer subscriptions. You don’t even want to know how many people I used to follow because they were ‘cool’. I’ll admit that unfollowing certain people was painful at the time but I had to be honest with myself. When did I last watch/read their content? Did I enjoy what they did?

The one site that I’ve had to be brutally honest on is Twitter.

Photo by Eaters Collective on Unsplash

It took me a long time to feel okay using the mute and block options. Guilt was what had previously prevented me doing this, but I decided that I had to put myself first. First I muted words that I didn’t want to see, then moved onto accounts. I hate the idea of blocking people unless I have a very good reason. That reason usually is they’re either obvious spam accounts or adult ones. No-one needs to see that on their timeline!

I’ll be frank with you: I have muted friends in the past.

Muting them doesn’t mean that I don’t like them. Muting them just means that they’re a little triggering for me. Obviously people probably notice when I mute them and unfollow. If that was you, sorry! I swear it wasn’t personal! One of the biggest things I’ve tackled this year is blocking spam accounts. Yes, they make me look like I have a bunch of followers. They don’t read my blog though! I’m just purely a number for them.

Doing this has taken me down to under 5000 but at least I know my followers are people who are real.

If you’re thinking about looking at your own social media accounts, here are some tips:

• Don’t be afraid to unfollow someone.
  • Try not to feel upset if you’re unfollowed.
  • Take a break if you need one.
  • Follow accounts you love/who are positive.

What have you done to make to make your social media more self-accessible?

Jenna
    24th October 2020 at 3:19 pm

Love this! I gave up all social media for Lent one year and that really taught me what I value in social medias. Now I spend way less time on them as well! 🙂
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

26th October 2020 at 4:49 pm

Oh wow! I never thought to give up social media for Lent! I guess I keep it close by since it’s the only way I communicate with friends!

Robin
    24th October 2020 at 7:14 pm

I totally agree it’s important to mind mental health in regards to social media. I’m working on a post about why I disengaged from Facebook. I feel much better limiting what I consume online. Thanks for raising awareness about this topic.

Liz
      26th October 2020 at 12:28 pm

I also unfollowed people on social media who are toxic for me as well. And I also lessened reading news online and comments of people about it. It has so helped me with my peace of mind.

26th October 2020 at 5:08 pm

I know exactly what you mean! The news is so incredibly triggering right now! Too much negativity and scary stories! I prefer much positive items on my timeline!

26th October 2020 at 4:51 pm

Yes!! Facebook has really lost its appeal! Glad that my post could help!

Lynn
    24th October 2020 at 7:24 pm

I loved this! I have been trying to take my blog to the next level and start making it my full-time income and I have been feeling the weight of social media on me! I love all the points you said and I too mute people for my own wellbeing 🙂

26th October 2020 at 4:52 pm

Oh wow! Well I hope that you manage to achieve all of your blog-related goals and become full-time! Good luck!

Lia
    24th October 2020 at 8:01 pm

This is so true. People do get offended but we have to remember it’s not the real world lol I absolutely agree with taking breaks. I promote that, for your sanity you have to detach from the social media reality. Great post.

26th October 2020 at 4:53 pm

I’ve never been sane so I always have to keep an eye on that! Haha! Yeah…you really start to see the people who see you as just a number!

Lucy
    24th October 2020 at 11:05 pm

I love this Daisy! I totally agree with the last four points, I unfollow people if they are giving off negative vibes in any way or, recently, if they are breaking rules in terms of Covid! These are such great points! x

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

26th October 2020 at 4:54 pm

This! I always question what people are thinking when they blatantly break the rules for no reason! I’ve had a couple I’ve done this to!

Jade
    25th October 2020 at 10:33 am

I’ve had to be so much more mindful over content I’m consuming on social media these days, and as much as I didn’t want to, I’ve unfollowed or muted quite a few people this year. My mental health hasn’t been great at it is recently, and social media was just making it so much worse!x

Jade | https://www.jademarie.co.uk

26th October 2020 at 5:01 pm

Ooof, I agree with all of this! I’m so sorry that your mental health has been a major struggle for you too! We’ve got this! 💛

Lex Vranick
    26th October 2020 at 5:18 pm

I love this! I’ve been spending the holidays social media free for the past few years, but I can definitely do more to curb my social media use and spend my time on so wisely. Especially these days, with everything so crazy, it’s so important to step away from the internet whenever we can.

lifestyleseason
    26th October 2020 at 5:38 pm

Great post! Thank you for sharing this! I totally agree with you about blocking accounts that you don’t like! I haven’t really muted words before but I think it would make social media a better place!

Britt
    26th October 2020 at 8:05 pm

This is something that I have really started to focus on during this whole COVID situation. There are so many people that I love dearly as people that went crazy sharing controversial drama about the restrictions, conspiracy theories, etc. relating to this pandemic. It was EXHAUSTING. That’s when I started embracing the ‘mute’ option on Twitter and the ‘unfollow’ option on Facebook. I love that it removes them from my feed without anything changing on their end – we’re still friends, so I’m avoiding any potential hurt feelings there. At the same time, I’m protecting myself from the constant negativity.

Nic | Nic's Adventures & Bakes
    27th October 2020 at 4:49 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I have taken a lot of breaks from twitter this year, dut to people not being kind at me for having an opnion on topics – it was the fact a band that I was due to see during Covid had cancelled the tour I paid to see and were doing a completly different tour next year, I was upset that I had paid £65 for the ticket for a show that I was not going to see – anyways it’s good to have that break and have some time to relax away from it all 🙂

Nic | Nic’s Adventures & Bakes

Lisa
    1st November 2020 at 4:03 pm

I agree – it’s something we all need to be careful of for our own selfcare, esp. now