Books

The ‘Educate Yourself’ Reading List (inspired by ChaptersofMay)

One of my guilty pleasures on Youtube is watching teacher vlogs. It’s super interesting seeing how teachers in other countries educate their students, especially the young ones. You get to see them set up their classrooms, watch how they do distance learning and lots of hauls.

I’ve got so much respect for teachers and what they’ve been trying to do over recent month. Helping kids stay on track in their education and keeping things fun is vital. One of the ways they’ve been doing that for the younger years is through reading books. As always, the talented Anika has inspired this post with her own ‘Educate Yourself’ Stack.

Books seem to be slowly fading out of our lives and onto technology. I have so many great memories of storytime at nursery and primary school where we would subtly learn important things. Elmer taught me not to be mean to someone who looked different than me and there were so many more. No matter what generation, books help educate us all!

educatePhoto by Anthony Tran on Unsplash

Rosa Parks (Little People, Big Dreams)

I might be in my 30s but I love this little book series! If I had a kid I would totally buy all of these books for them. I’m even tempted to get some for myself. If you haven’t heard of this particular series, they’re all based on the incredible lives of inspirational figures. You have Marie Curie, Stephen Hawking, Anne Frank and Josephine Baker.

They’re such a fun yet informative way to educate kids on the important things these people did.

I picked Rosa Parks because she shows how one powerful moment in times can snowball into a strong movement for change. It’s a shame that the world still isn’t getting it but we will one day!

While We Can’t Hug (Eoin McLaughlin & Polly Dunbar)

Living through this pandemic is something that none of us expected this time last year. we had only heard about things like this in movies and in other countries. I certainly didn’t expect the world to be fighting such a terrible virus. If grown-ups are finding all this confusing, imagine what it’s like for the little ones.

I heard a little girl the other day chatting to a friend over their fence and not understanding why she can’t go and hug that friend. Part of me was tempted to buy this book for them to help. It’s such an adorable way to teach children other ways to show that they care. They can write letters, blow kisses and sing songs!

The Proudest Blue (Ibtihaj Muhammad)

Having come from Birmingham and been brought up with friends from different backgrounds, I saw people from other religions. I had a Jewish friend at nursery school and others who were Muslim so it never bothered me. However I know that so many kids have to face adversity because they look different to others. Whether they wear a hijab or a kippah, kids can be very cruel.

Books like The Proudest Blue are perfect for teaching them a little of Islam, the importance of siblings and being yourself. I had a glance of the book in Waterstones and the illustrations are gorgeous!

Quiet Power: Growing Up In A World That Can’t Stop Talking (Susan Cain)

If only this book had existed when I was still at school!

These last couple of decades have made the world very, very loud. With social media, technology booming and news hitting you from every side, it can sometimes be extremely difficult to be heard. While some people genuinely don’t want to talk, there are others that actually really struggle with self-doubt and insecurity.

This book may be for teenagers but I reckon it could help adults too! Let the introverts thrive please and turn the volume down a notch!

Related Post: How I Felt Being Diagnosed with ASD

educate

All Cats Are On The Autism Spectrum (Kathy Hoopmann)

Look for any books about autism and you’ll find the same thing. They’re boring, very scientific and literally have no personality. They’re informative but too medical! I’m always looking for ways to explain to my family about being autistic in my own kind of way and this book looks perfect!!

It has cats explaining about the spectrum!!

THIS BOOK IS ME!!

I really wish people understood the challenges of autism and didn’t keep repeating that we’re ‘all a little autistic’. Believe me…if we all were, the world would not be able to cope!

This doesn’t come out until late October but check it out anyway!!

Phoenix Goes To School (Michelle & Phoenix Finch)

During my research for books to recommend, I kept being drawn to the little picture book about gender identity. I’ve got a few friends who are transgender and non-binary. When I was doing a work placement in a primary school, I started to notice how vital it was to educate children about how others identify.

There was a little girl who had two daddies and she was so shy. I literally wanted to hug her! I’ve also watched videos of children who are trying to understand the world and their identity. This book seems adorable and is actually a memoir of Pheonix’s experiences of transitioning. She was scared that her school friends would still see her as a boy and not a girl.

This Kid Can Fly: It’s About Ability (Not Disability) (Aaron Philip)

The final book on my ‘educate yourself’ reading list is this one by Aaron Philip! I hadn’t heard of him before this post but, after checking out his story, he is freaking amazing!! Not only does he chat about his experiences with cerebal palsy BUT he is also the first black, transgender and physically disabled model to be represented by an elite modelling agency!!

He’s only 19, people!

This guy is the best person to give all of us a kick up the backside whenever we see we can’t do it. I say this so often and I haven’t experienced an inkling of anything he has gone through.

What books would you recommend to educate people?

Carrie
    20th September 2020 at 3:30 pm

They all sound so good! Such a cool collection in this post! Love it.
    Carrie xx

Jenna
    20th September 2020 at 4:16 pm

Great suggestions! I absolutely love to continue learning now that I am out of school – so fun to explore topics I’ve never learned about before 🙂 Will definitely check some of these out!
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

20th September 2020 at 4:52 pm

Same!! There’s just so much to learn out there and it’s not like we haven’t had the time to sit down and read! Haha! Hopefully they’ll help you or even a child you might know! x

Anika
    20th September 2020 at 4:34 pm

I love that your promoting education! Mine was based on the tragic events over the summer, so it only featured Black authors and fiction. But I really like the idea of a stack of books for each topic of discussion! Great recommendations and lovely post.

Anika | chaptersofmay.com

20th September 2020 at 4:51 pm

Yayyy! I didn’t think I was entitled to talk much about the issues you’d covered but I at least knew a little of what I posted! If that makes any sense! xD I tried to think like a teacher and what books I’d want to read to them! x

Claire
    21st September 2020 at 8:46 am

I love these suggestions. I work in pastoral care in a school and I think these would be great for our team.

I’m going to see if I can get some ordered for us.

Hannah | A Cup of Wonderland
    21st September 2020 at 11:56 am

Such a brilliant post, I love how you are promoting education and such a huge variety of books. I’ve not heard of any of these but I shall be checking them out and researching for myself too. Also, love your main photo in this!

Lucy
    21st September 2020 at 3:53 pm

These books sound so good Daisy! I loved reading your thoughts on them x

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

Julia
    21st September 2020 at 8:07 pm

Great suggestions! These books sound amazing, I love how you’re promoting such a huge variety of them! I think that they’d be an invaluable addition to any classroom or home x

bumblingalong.co.uk

Stephanie
    21st September 2020 at 8:16 pm

These are the types of books that really interest me, though I don’t read them often enough. I love finding diversity of all sorts in the literature that I pick up, so it was helpful to see your suggestions in this stack!

Marissa
    22nd September 2020 at 3:50 am

This is such a great idea – to promote education is SO important in today’s world and reading books will really help. Thank you for these recommendations, I’ll be checking them out!

🌿 Marissa Belle × marsybun.com 🌿

25th September 2020 at 5:50 pm

It’s so sad that children are slowly losing interest in books because of the internet and video games. While I love gaming, you can never go wrong with learning from a book! That sounds like such a Hermione thing to say but it’s true! Hope you enjoy!! x

Lindsey
    22nd September 2020 at 9:39 am

Aww this is a lovely post. Having just done bed time for a 5yr old and a 2yr old over the weekend, I’m delighted to report that story time is still very much in full flow for them. It’s so powerful to get the right messages across when they’re young.

Lindsey | https://aramblingreviewer.com/

25th September 2020 at 5:48 pm

Awww! Auntie Lindsey to the rescue! Someone has to teach the youngsters how amazing stories are! Hopefully they’ll carry on loving them for many years to come. You never know what age to teach a child something important. I’m clueless! xD

Jenny in Neverland
    22nd September 2020 at 1:03 pm

I’m really into educational books at the moment so thank you for these recommendations. I’m currently reading Why I’m Not Longer Talking To White People About Race and would highly recommend x

25th September 2020 at 5:47 pm

Yayy! I love reading books that teach me things I never knew prior. I’ve seen Why I’m No Longer Talking To White People About Race in the window of my local Waterstones and I’ve been meaning to check it out!

Deandra
    22nd September 2020 at 11:16 pm

These suggestions sound so interesting! I love getting book suggestions. I have books piled up on my Amazon wishlist lol. Thanks for these suggestions!

25th September 2020 at 5:08 pm

Same!! You always discover books you never thought about while reading suggestion posts! Looks like you have more to add to your wishlist! Haha.