Fandom

Spiderman vs Spiderman: Which Versions Are Better?

SpidermanPhoto by Clay Banks on Unsplash

Did you know that August 1st is not only the beginning of a new month but also Spiderman Day? It’s true! Today is when we celebrate our favourite neighbourhood spiderman! Why do we celebrate him today? Well, Stan Lee first created Peter Parker back in August 1962 and he first appears in a comic as a supporting character.

Since this web-slinger is one of my favourite characters in the Marvel Universe, I wanted to decide once and for all who the best Spiderman was. These will only be my opinions and everyone will have different faves! Let’s start a Number 10, shall we?

Number 10: Spider-Man (1994)

This version of him was my first ever glimpse of Peter Parker! I had never heard of him before this but 7-year-old Daisy was hooked! There was something super cool about his adventures and learning all about his struggles. I didn’t always understand what the heck was going on but I still enjoyed it! The reason why the 1994 version is at the bottom is because he traumatised me!!

If you’ve seen the series, then you’ll remember the time when Peter was turned into an actual spider. It was so gross and I still can’t watch clips of it to this day!

Number 9: Josh Keaton (Spectacular Spider-Man)

I’ll be honest that I didn’t really remember Josh’s version before this post, but I did go and rewatch a few clips to jog my memory.

He was cool, though his voice was pretty darn deep!

Number 8: Tobey Maguire

Our first ever movie Peter!!

It was beyond exciting to see him on the big screen and I couldn’t wait to see a real person portraying him! I’d only seen him in animation so yeah!!

Don’t get me wrong…there was so many great scenes when Tobey really showed a depth to Petter, but…I just didn’t really connect. I think it was to do with some of the facial expressions he gave sometimes and because he was a little too old to be a teenager!

Be gentle!

Number 7: Peter Parker (Into The Spider-Verse)

Awww…this Peter gave me feels!! Jake Johnson really brought something new to the universe and that was Peter had a lot of flaws. He may have been a superhero but he was still human to a degree.

He made mistakes.

What I adored about the version was he really taught anyone who watched that you can learn from your mistakes and change. He was overweight and grieving the loss of M.J but he still sacrificed himself for Miles and it was beautiful! *sob*

Number 6: Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man)

Okay…so technically he wasn’t so much a Spiderman lead in this show, but he still stuck out to me!

I hadn’t heard about Miles before this. Not much was ever shown of his character and that bugged me. I feel like I connected a little more with him because he was struggling with his identity and his place in the world.

Every teenager knows what this is like!

Ogie Banks just made him memorable! I think I’m going to have to re-watch the series to see all of Miles’ scenes! That little sass-pot!

Photo by Марьян Блан | @marjanblan on Unsplash

Number 5: Robbie Daymond (Marvel’s Spiderman)

Okay…I may be a little bias with this pick because I was already a fan of Robbie’s work before I saw him as Spiderman! You guys already know that I’m a part of many fandoms and anime is one of them! He’s been in so many of those and video games like Persona 5!

Why is he in my top 5?

He’s here because he made Peter a teen! Oh my days! I actually believed that Peter was still at school trying to get through his life there while being a superhero. He was sweet!

Number 4: Yuri Lowenthal (Spider-Man PS4)

Another voice actor who I adored!! This guy is basically a voice actor legend! He has been in everything you can think of such as Sasuke in Naruto, Ben in Ben 10, Mercury in RWBY and more!

I hadn’t seen Spiderman in a video game before. I know there had been a bunch all ready but this one seemed special. It was so detailed and his Peter made me cry!! If you’ve played the game, then you will know the moment! *sniff*

He might not have felt like a teenager but he still had those human flaws with MJ.

Number 3: Andrew Garfield

Our next movie Spiderman and he was British!!

I remember there was a lot of buzz over the fact that they’d chosen a British actor to play him. It just made me happy! Before he was Peter, he was in Doctor Who!! Who else remembers him as the guy who was turned into a pig-man! At least he had the accent down!!

Never realised he was actually born in LA! Haha!

His Peter felt real. He wasn’t a superhero. He was just a teenager playing what he thought a superhero was. Some of my favourite moments with him were when he took down the car thief! I loved that he was super sarcastic with him and played with the thief! He was like a cat playing with its prey! The other was when he saved a kid in a falling car. He was so sweet with Jack who was so scared!

He let him put on the mask and everything! Even though he was exposing his identity, he still saved him.

Tied for Number 1: Tom Holland & Shameik Moore

I couldn’t seperate these guys!! I just couldn’t put either of them at Number 2! They’re just too good for so many different reasons!!

Let’s start with Tom! Tom is Peter Parker!! He felt like a true kid in Spiderman: Homecoming! He was doing classes at school with his friends, taking part in a debate team and even building Lego with his friend Ned!! He was the youngest out of all the Spidermen to date and that really added to his role! You could feel how awkward he was with life and how he just wanted to be a hero like the Avengers.

I loved the moments when he was honestly being a ‘neighbourhood Spiderman’. Helping people with their shopping and stopping someone stealing a bike. Everything he has done with Peter has felt true. That heart-breaking moment when he is stuck under rubble and crying out for help. MY HEART!!! That poor boy! It was then he realised that Spiderman was him! Let’s not talk about ‘I don’t feel so good, Mr Stark!’.

As for Shameik as Miles Morales….again, perfect!! He’s only a year older than Tom and that helped too! He knew what it was like to be a kid! Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse was just an overall masterpiece! The designs, the music and the cast…*chef kiss*

He was taking over the Spiderman mantle from Peter and making it his own! He had the same uncertainity that Peter had at the beginning and obviously had a tragic moment happen to him! All heroes have to have tragedy!! Haha! I can’t wait to see what Miles does next in the sequel in 2022!

Who is your favourite Spiderman?

Ellie-M
    1st August 2020 at 9:09 pm

I love this post! I’m a Tom girl myself. Was sobbing when he was begging saying he didn’t want to die. Waaahhhh!

4th August 2020 at 6:31 pm

Noooo!! I know! I just wanted to help him and was sobbing in my seat! XD

Dellybird
    2nd August 2020 at 9:14 am

I think Tom Holland has to be the winner for me! He does a superb job of showing a young Peter Parker and I think a crucial part of Spider-Man is that he is just a kid. A kid who makes mistakes but always tries to do the right thing.

4th August 2020 at 6:30 pm

Yes!! Couldn’t have put it better myself! Long live King Tom! xx

Graham
    2nd August 2020 at 9:39 am

I’m not always the most willing watcher of any ‘superhero’ films, but I definitely enjoyed Tom Holland and Andrew Garfield’s portrayals of Spiderman.

4th August 2020 at 6:30 pm

There are definitely a lot of the films out there. It’s just trying to find the right kind of hero for you to enjoy!

Faye
    2nd August 2020 at 11:06 am

This was such a fun post! I haven’t seen all of the versions of Spiderman but I loved both Tom Holland and Andrew Garfield x

4th August 2020 at 6:29 pm

I love when I get to do a fandom post! They’re so much fun to do! Andrew and Tom clearly have the magic touch! Must be the British one haha!

Kayleigh
    2nd August 2020 at 1:09 pm

Tom Holland as spider man is one of the best I’ve seen – I’ve not seen all ten on the list but it be seen around 6 of these! Thanks for sharing x

4th August 2020 at 6:28 pm

YES!!! I’m glad somebody is just as nerdy as me! Haha! I totally agree with you there! xx

Bethany Jane
    2nd August 2020 at 1:36 pm

I thought for ages that I didn’t really enjoy Spiderman films, but it turns out I just wasn’t a fan of Tobey Maguire (sorry Tobey!). I enjoyed Spiderman much more when Tom Holland played him, he just adds something to the role that I really enjoy! I actually didn’t know there were so many versions of him though, very enlightening post!

4th August 2020 at 6:27 pm

LOL!!! This! Tobey was amazing in Seabiscuit but absolutely hopeless as Spiderman! It’s crazy how many there has been and this isn’t even mentioning the ones before the 90s!

Richie
    2nd August 2020 at 5:08 pm

Hey Daisy. Fantastic post. I disliked Tobey Maguire in the role so much that it nearly put me off watching any Spiderman movie ever again! I’m glad that I relented though because I thought Tom Holland was excellent. Let’s hope that he sticks with the role and we can see PP/Spiderman as he grows up.

4th August 2020 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Richie! That means a lot! I think Tobey would definitely a love/hate for some people! I’m so glad the actors after were so much better! Fingers crossed!

Amie
    2nd August 2020 at 7:09 pm

I absolutely love Tom Holland as Spiderman!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

4th August 2020 at 6:24 pm

He’s gorgeous, right?! He’s got a new film coming out with Robert Pattinson soon! It’s coming to Netflix I think!

Adan
    2nd August 2020 at 7:52 pm

I really liked Andrew Garfields Spider-Man, but Tom Holland’s was even better. I can’t disagree with any of the list.

4th August 2020 at 6:23 pm

Woooo! That’s always good to hear! I’m normally hopeless at choices! Haha! I can’t wait to see what Tom does next!

Sophie
    2nd August 2020 at 8:43 pm

I need to brush up on my spiderman, I had no idea there were this many versions. I think I’ve only seen four so I don’t think that’s enough to pick a true favourite! x

Sophie

4th August 2020 at 6:22 pm

Surprise? Haha! It just shows how much of a nerd I am and for how long! Haha!

Annelize
    2nd August 2020 at 8:54 pm

I never knew there were this many Spiderman men 😆 Come to think of it, for me it has to be Tom Holland – he has been a true Peter Parker! Such a unique and uplifting post 🙂

4th August 2020 at 6:21 pm

I know!! You never realise that it’s been going on for so long if you didn’t check! I agree – Tom is definitely a true Peter Parker!

Anika
    4th August 2020 at 11:23 am

Totally agree with you on Into the Spider-Verse, an absolute masterpiece, I can’t fault it! And Tom Holland’s Spiderman is amazing too, Marvel’s magic touch seemed to rub off on him, haha! Lovely post.

Anika | chaptersofmay.com

4th August 2020 at 6:20 pm

Tom is an incredible actor either way! Remember watching him in Billy Elliot so can vouch! I’m probably going to rewatch Spider-Verse tonight! xD

Jenny in Neverland
    6th August 2020 at 8:39 am

I’ve actually only ever seen the Tobey McGuire Spiderman! I definitely need to watch some of the others so I have something to compare it to!