Lifestyle

6 Things To Distract You From Your Chronic Condition

One of the many things that suck in life is living with a chronic condition. There are so many variations out there and, when they flare up, you sometimes need help in distracting you from it. Some of the things I’m going to cover might not be possible with your condition. I’d love to know how you try to distract yourself, though I know it’s not always possible.

For those of you who don’t know, I suffer from Fibromyalgia and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

Coping with even one of these is a major OOF, but it’s even worse when they decide to tag-team you. They did that over the weekend and I had to come up with some easy but effective ways to cope.

chronic conditionPhoto by Logan Nolin on Unsplash

Take your medication

You’re probably wondering ‘Daisy, why is this on your list? Isn’t this essential?’.

You’d be correct. Medication for any illness is a vital daily thing we have to, but sometimes you have certain meds that you take at specific moments. You have inhalers to combat asthma attacks, painkillers and more. For me I have my painkillers that, on bad days, I take three times a day and my muscle relaxants. I also have something for my migraines and my IBS.

Never feel ashamed to take your medication when you need it.

The world is conditioned to force yourself through the pain. While this is okay in the short-term, it could make things worse. You won’t be able to distract yourself if you’re in agony.

Watch your favourite movie/TV show

If you’re having a particularly rough day where moving is just out of the question, escape to your favourite world.

I find myself doing this for both my mental health and physical issues. It works for both and it really does help. This weekend I was feeling dreadful and couldn’t get myself out of bed for long. That meant I needed something to keep my thoughts away from ‘OWWWW’. I knew a new episode for my favourite anime was out and, after watching this, I chose to go back and re-watch the start of the series.

Love anime? Watch Sword Art Online! It’s so GOOD!!

Time fly by and my pain meds had kicked in during this time. Yay!

Read a book

Another thing people won’t be surprised to see on my list!

Books are incredible objects that work just as effectively as TV/Movies. You can escape to a whole different world and put your thoughts on hold for a while. Find a book that has really got interest, get as comfortable as you can and run away.

I’m currently reading Melt My Heart by Bethany Rutter and this is perfect for my self-esteem issues! I can let Lily Rose (the main character) worry about them for a while.

If you haven’t got a physical copy, then an audiobook will work too!

Do gentle exercise

This is one thing that I know 50% of people won’t be able to do. One method of distraction I’ve been taught over the years for my chronic condition is do gentle exercise. I’m not expected to go a marathon but to simply move. The pain tends to get worse and makes me stiff if I don’t keep myself active.

It doesn’t work all the time but, when it does, it’s so freeing!

You can take a short 10-minute walk around your street/block and listen to nature. This time of year is brilliant for listening to the leaves blowing and birdsong. Super relaxing!

Don’t worry if you can’t walk around. Try gentle stretches and other similar exercises to help!

Play with your pet

There is nothing more magical than playing with a pet! I honestly think they have something Potter about them for what they can achieve!

When I had Jewel and was struggling, she seemed to sense it. I’d be sitting on the sofa crying and she’d suddenly appear to sit on my lap. It was crazy! I don’t think she knew exactly what was wrong but knew something. I definitely cried in her fur a few times and stroked her. That last one was so relaxing.

One of my favourite things to do was to play with her jingle stick. It had feathers and bells on it and I could dangle it in front of her for her to try and catch. She was hilarious with her little bum wiggle! I’m proud that I also taught her how to sit before I gave her food and to fetch.

Listen to a podcast/TED talk

If you haven’t got a book to read/listen to, then a podcast is effective!

There are so many podcasts out there for you depending on what you love. There are inspirational ones, true crime, food, mindfulness, exercise and even gaming ones! You can be entertained when the world feels like it hates you right now!

The podcasts I’m listening to right now are:

• David Tennant Does A Podcast With…
  • Always Open
  • Off Topic
  • Katherine Ryan: Telling…

What ways do you have to distract yourself from your chronic condition?

Lucy
    24th August 2020 at 6:26 pm

These are great ways to distract you from your chronic condition, I totally get what you mean about the medication, taking your meds when you need them is so important x

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

27th August 2020 at 9:38 am

Definitely! I imagine medication is a vital element for you! Do you have meds that you only take when you need it or are they just set times every day? I’m interested! xx

Nic | Nic's Adventures & Bakes
    25th August 2020 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for sharing, these ideas are great to pass the time when I feel in the dumps with my Diabetes, even just a walk helps to calm me down 🙂

Nic | Nic’s Adventures & Bakes

27th August 2020 at 9:36 am

Oof! A few members of my family are/were diabetic including my parents. It’s actually a miracle that I haven’t been diagnosed with it yet! Haha! x

That Happy Reader
    25th August 2020 at 5:37 pm

These are great strategies to help cope with chronic illness. Sometimes it just boils down to self care and doing what makes you happy! Thanks for sharing.

27th August 2020 at 9:35 am

It really does. Sometimes the best solution is the simplest!

Anika
    25th August 2020 at 5:52 pm

Lovely distractions, this is such a heartwarming post. I really like your point on taking medication, it never means you’re surrendering. Not wanting to live in agony is not a weakness, if anything it’s logical to me! Great post.

Anika | chaptersofmay.com

27th August 2020 at 9:29 am

People with chronic conditions are heroes! They battle with their bodies every single day and have to do what they can to cope. xx

Reads and Rambles
    25th August 2020 at 8:15 pm

This is a very lovely post! Self care is so important especially for chronic conditions!! I have Polycystic ovaries (when many people tell me doesn’t count as a chronic condition) but it affects my health, diet, fertility and intimate life so I’d say it counts and I take some much comfort and aid from taking care of my mind. Reading a huge escape for me too! Take care xx

27th August 2020 at 9:26 am

Ooof…I totally get what you mean! I’ve had cysts on my ovaries before and been told that it’s a high possibility that I have PCOS but I kind of don’t want to see more doctors. I have enough without that too! One day people will recognise it! x

Lisa
    26th August 2020 at 10:52 am

There really is something magical about pets, isn’t there? They just KNOW when they need to offer comfort and support, I don’t understand how they do it. And your point about taking meds as and when needed is also spot on. I’m sorry you have double tagging but it sounds like these are great coping strategies x

27th August 2020 at 9:24 am

There is! You never expect them to help as much as they do. They’re just incredible! x

Sophie
    26th August 2020 at 12:33 pm

I totally get this, sometimes when you have symptoms and nothing seems to be working, the best distraction is the only relief you can get. I prefer smaller tasks like magazine articles or youtube videos because I never have the attention span for longer things like movies or books when I’m struggling x

Sophie

27th August 2020 at 9:20 am

I know! It’s so annoying when you’ve tried everything that is supposed to work and only have your mind left to be creative! Oooh…I haven’t read many magazine articles lately! I might have to give that a go! x

Amie
    26th August 2020 at 4:19 pm

This is an amazing post, I think it can really help people with chronic illness!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

27th August 2020 at 9:19 am

I hope so! I keep trying to think of ways I can chat about chronic conditions without whining about it! xD xx

Neesha Rees
    26th August 2020 at 5:56 pm

OMG Daisy I had no idea! I suffer from Fibro and IBS as well. I do a lot of telly watching in bed when I’m having a bad pain day. Excellent post lovely!
    Neesha – Reinventing Neesha

27th August 2020 at 9:16 am

Haha! Highfive for being chronic buddies! I don’t talk about it all that often since I complain about other things! xD It’s a case of just hoping for the best, right? xx

Kayla
    26th August 2020 at 8:07 pm

This is such a good post for people who suffer from chronic conditions. My friend was just recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and she’s been pretty anxious about it and how she’s gonna have to deal with it. I’ll definitely show this to her and hopefully it will help ease her mind a bit. Thank you for sharing!

27th August 2020 at 9:14 am

Aw, I’m sorry that your friend has Fibromyalgia! It’s such a nasty condition and not much is really known about it either. Hopefully my post can help ease her concerns a teeny bit!

Scott
    27th August 2020 at 4:29 pm

These are gret tips. I also suffer from IBS ever since I beat colorectal cancer. I love escaping in a good book as well as exercise. Thank you for your wonderful, informative post. Take care.

30th August 2020 at 1:33 pm

Aw, glad that you beat your cancer but sorry that you got IBS from it! It’s not fun at all. Books are just perfect for taking your mind away from everything and focusing on someone else’s problems!

I'm All Booked Up
    27th August 2020 at 7:08 pm

Great list of distractions, especially books!

30th August 2020 at 1:32 pm

I thought you would appreciate the books mention! c;

Karolina
    28th August 2020 at 10:30 am

A great post! I love your blog. Your content is very interesting < 3

30th August 2020 at 1:31 pm

Aw, Karolina! That’s so lovely…thanks! I try to do varied content because that’s just how the inside of my brains works! Haha!

Lauren
    28th August 2020 at 11:50 am

This is a very helpful post! Some great tips to try and see if they help. Thank you for sharing.

Lauren | http://www.bournemouthgirl.com

30th August 2020 at 1:31 pm

Thank you, lovely! Hopefully they’ll be useful for anyone who might need them! ^__^