No matter where you go in the world, all your favourite travel destinations will have been featured in either movies or TV shows! There are so many to spot and I know some friends who purposely go to seek them out. If you haven’t heard of Fangirl Quest, then you’re missing out! They go around the world with certain fandoms in mind and match the scene with the location! It’s so clever and I can’t imagine how much patience they need!
I’d love to do something similiar with my favourite fandoms like Doctor Who and Harry Potter.
In all honesty, I really want to do more travel posts on my blog next year. I love visiting places around the UK especially when they have a connection to fandom. We’ll see what 2020 has ready for me.
If I did have enough money to visit different countries, I would definitely see through the eyes of a fangirl. Not ashamed to admit that all of my travel destinations would be nerdy and I have 10 particular places in mind.
Of all the countries, of all the world, this country had to walk into my life!
I’d always heard of New Zealand because of the rugby and Billy Connolly, but it wasn’t until the early 2000s that I truly appreciated it. It is just a majestic land that is literally a fantasy. Those mountains and landscapes are incredible! Is it a wonder that films such as Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia filmed there.
It is on my ultimate bucket list to travel to New Zealand and visit as many film locations there as I can! The few locations that I have in mind have to be:
- Catherdral Cove because it was a gorgeous return to Narnia in Prince Caspian.
- The Hobbiton movie set which is as stunning as it is in Lord of the Rings! You can literally visit the Hobbit holes, the Green Dragon and stay there!!
- This one isn’t so much a film location, but it is in almost every film! To visit the Weta Workshop would be a dream!
Wales may be part of the UK and technically not far but it’s still another country!
So many of my favourite fandoms have filmed in Wales from Doctor Who, Merlin, Sherlock and even Harry Potter! There is something so special about the studios there and some of the locations surrounding it.
- Barafundle Bay – This one is for my fellow Benedict Cumberbatch fans who got the chance to watch his film ‘Third Star’. This bay is both stunning and traumatising! If you’ve watched, you’ll know why!
- Freshwater West beach – Another traumatising place from Harry Potter! Dobby needs your socks, people! *sob* This was used in Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2! I need to pay my respects!
- Wye Valley – I adored watching Sex Education on Netflix so I may have to have a look for some of the places used!
- Cathedral Green, Llandaff – The reason I want to visit here? RORY AND AMY!! Llandaff was used for Leadworth where they lived and I need walk in the steps of Matt Smith!
- Brecon Beacons National Park, Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly Castle and Castell Coch: One word…MERLIN!!! Lindsey, if you’re reading this, can we go?!
- Cardiff Castle, Saint Woolos Cemetery and Cardiff Bay: So many fandom places have filmed in around these places (maybe not the cementry but Sherlock!!) and who wouldn’t walk to visit when the game is on for Sherlock!
New York, New York!! Forget Hollywood for a second…this old city has seen so many classic and modern films and TV shows within it! From Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Great Gatsby, Friends, Men in Black, Sex in the City to the Marvel films! I swear there isn’t a part of New York hasn’t been taken over by aliens! It even had a time-lord visit on occasion!
This place just makes my fangirl heart beat fast!! Maybe because Cursed Child on Broadway there and I really, really want to go!!
- New York Public Library – Who wouldn’t want to visit a library as pretty as this?! It’s gorgeous and it was in Ghostbusters!
- Staten Island Ferry – The fact that Tom Holland filmed on this for Spiderman: Homecoming makes me want to take a ride if I ever visit!! Plus an epic way to see New York!
- Central Park – This is SO on my list!! Getting a ride around the park (maybe at Christmas), standing on the rock that the Doctor and Amy sat on) and obviously looking for the place where we saw muzzled!Loki!
So many locations to list and chat about but I am definitely coming up with a massive list of places I could visit! I love how I’m planning before I have the money to go! Haha!
The picture at the top was when I visited LA a few years ago and, for a film fan, that was the best place to be! I got the chance to go around Hollywood, see behind the scenes of a massive studio and recognised a bunch of places! Just like New York, there are a lot of locations that nerds like me would recognise!
- Beverly Wilshire Hotel – I actually stayed in this hotel!! The reason why I was excited about here was, not just because it was right next door to Rodeo Drive, but Pretty Woman was filmed there!! There is even a display next to one of the restaurants showcasing the red dress Julia Roberts wears to the opera and a script!
- Rodeo Drive – This needed its own little bullet point because it’s so iconic!! It has the most luxury shops in one place but I also recognised it from Clueless! Name a more classic 90s film! Ugh…as if!
Are there any travel destinations that you would love to visit inspired by films or TV shows you’ve watched?